6 Characteristics of a Leader in Business
Leaders come in all forms but some are more successful than others. Do you ever wonder what makes them so successful? While there’s certainly no magic formula for the perfect leader, there are certain traits in a person that can define their success. Here are six characteristics that are essential to creating successful leadership in business.
1. Honesty. Transparency is everything in business. If your employees don’t trust their leader, good luck trusting them with running your company.
2. Delegating. We’ve all worked with someone who needs to be in control. You won’t see that in a successful leader. A successful leader trusts his employees (see #1) and knows they’ll get the job done well. After all, that’s why you hired them.
3. Communication. Make sure you can clearly communicate details to your employees. You might know what you want accomplished, but sometimes explaining it to someone else can be tough. You need to be able to clearly state what you want and how you want it. Asking questions is a good way to make sure your employees understand what you want.
4. Positive Attitude. Running a company is stressful. There will be days where the future seems uncertain. Stay positive, smile and be confident. You can’t control everything, but you can control your attitude. Whether positive or negative, attitude is contagious.
5. Dedication. Never. Ever. Give Up. Leaders were not born leaders and nobody was successful on their first try. Lead by example. When your team sees how committed you are to the brand, you not only earn their respect, but their dedication as well.
6. Don’t be Afraid to Fail. Nobody will succeed without first failing. As a leader, you can’t expect everything you do to be successful. Failure is what will ultimately define your success. So take some chances.
“I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
Image source: http://www.newharbordesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/how-successful-leaders-think-new-harbor-design.jpg